What: One book for each participant (up to $300 total per club)
Who: UCR Faculty and Graduate Students (with significant participation from CHASS faculty and graduate students)
Deadline: Applications are due the first Monday of the month before the start of the quarter in which the workshop will occur: March 1, 2021 (Spring 2021) or June 7 (Summer 2021).
Stay engaged with colleagues this quarter through online Book Clubs. Invite a group of 4 or more colleagues and select a book – it’s that easy!
Book Club awards cover the purchase of books for virtual groups of faculty and/or graduate students who agree to meet up online to discuss sections of the book at least 5 times over the coming quarter. Though we ask that at least half the participants be CHASS faculty and/or graduate students, conveners and other club members may be from any school or college at UCR. Up to 25% of the group may be from other UC campuses, local institutions or community organizations.
Club leaders convene meetings via Zoom or other online meeting room services. Selected titles should have the potential to engage multiple perspectives, disciplines and methods in critical inquiry. Inclusive, cross-disciplinary groups are encouraged. At the end of the quarter, group members will be asked to provide feedback on their experiences.
To apply, email the following information to CIS@ucr.edu, subject line “Book club.”
- Name of convener(s) and/or host of online meeting
- Book title and why it was selected*
- Note that the $300 total award should cover book, tax and shipping for each participant. Please adjust your book selection and/or participant list to meet this award limit.
- Names/Departments of confirmed participants, email addresses and their home addresses for book delivery
- Tentative number of meetings and date/time (if known)
- *Include a link to the title and edition on the online book vendor of your choice
- Amazon is the default vendor choice for book orders for free shipping. If other vendors are preferred, please allow additional time for delivery and include shipping costs in your estimates of the total amount for your group.
- Please indicate if group members prefer digital editions.
Learn more on our Program page.