Our team offers travel assistance for guests of our Center-sponsored projects. The links below outline the policies and procedures we follow to help you plan your trip to UC Riverside.

Once you have accepted your hosts’ invitation, please share some contact information with our travel coordinator, Jessica, through this online form. The form covers basic details and visa classification (in case you will be reimbursed later on.)

Guest Information Form

Your hosts’ invitation should have specified what travel services or expenses they can provide you. If not, it’s a good idea to pause before booking while you double check, in case the amounts they can provide affect your travel choices.

Flight expenses are reimbursed after the event, as long as the flight meets the guidelines of our budget and university policies.

University of California travel policy limits us to reimbursing for the most economical and direct flights on U.S. Flag Carrier airlines. Unless an upgrade is required for medical reasons or unusual circumstances, we can only reimburse non-economy flights at a comparable economy rate and you will be responsible for the difference in fare. Try to avoid purchasing bundled fares (flights + rental cars, for example), unless you have approval to be reimbursed for all items in the bundle or you can document the costs for each individual item in the bundle. Online travel providers typically do not itemize bundled tickets after the sale. Itemization of travel expenses is required by our campus accounting office.

After the flight is booked, please forward your itinerary and payment receipt to Jessica.Difilippo@ucr.edu so that she can book hotel rooms (if lodging is being provided.)  She will keep the receipt for your reimbursement claim after the event.

Local Airports

Ontario International Airport (ONT): Closest and most convenient—about 20 mins by car

John Wayne International Airport (SNA): Allow 1-1.5 hours for drive time

Palm Springs International Airport (PSP): Allow 1-1.5 hours for drive time

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX): Plan for up to 3 hours by car through LA traffic

Most invitations include the offer of lodging, typically one or two nights. Once flights or travel dates are set, our office will book a room for you and forward the confirmation to you. Room rates + taxes are covered by our office, but you are responsible for miscellaneous charges like room service or parking.

We use the following hotels:

Mission Inn Hotel & Spa 3649 Mission Inn Avenue, Riverside, CA 92501

Marriott Riverside at the Convention Center3400 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501

Hyatt Place, Riverside Downtown3500 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501

Airport shuttles

If ground transportation is covered by your host, we can reimburse you for reasonable costs of shuttles, taxis and ride-sharing services.

* UC Riverside Address: 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521

Driving to Riverside

If you will be driving to Riverside, your host may offer to reimburse you for mileage. Reimbursements for mileage are made at the current IRS rate. You will need to provide your vehicle license number and the start and end points of the trip.


All parking on the UC Riverside campus requires a paid permit. Jessica can arrange a guest permit for you, if you contact her in advance. (NOTE: Parking permits from other UC campuses are valid on UC Riverside lots.) View UCR’s Campus Map.


Local residents may prefer to use the Metrolink train system. The Riverside station on Vine is 1 mile from downtown hotels and 2.5 miles from campus.

Rental Cars

With pre-approval, rental car expenses can be reimbursed after your trip. We are limited to reimbursing the most economical option for use on the days associated with your visit (i.e. not personal days or events unrelated to UCR). Original, itemized receipts and contracts are required for reimbursement.

Some hosts may agree to reimburse you for your meals during your stay. If this is the case, keep a list or a set of receipts to refer to when you submit your travel expense claim with our office after your trip. In most cases, meal receipts will not need to be submitted with the expense claim.

NOTE: Alcohol expenses cannot be reimbursed and certain meal limits apply.

Submit pre-approved travel expenses to Jessica DiFilippo on this form:

► Travel Expense Claim Form

Receipts for expenses under $75 are generally not required. If required receipts are missing, please explain the circumstances. We may ask for additional documentation, such as screen shots of bank charges. (NOTE: Itemized airfare, lodging and/or rental car receipts are always required for reimbursement, regardless of amount.)


Once you submit your claim, Renee DeGuire will create a reimbursement voucher and forward it to you for approval. A ‘wet’ or hand-signature is required before she can submit the voucher to Accounting, so please keep an eye out for her email to avoid delays. You can print the voucher, sign it, and then return it to Renee DeGuire by email (scan or photos).

In some cases, UC & IRS policy requires that we create a voucher even when there is no reimbursement claim (for example, to report airfare or lodging costs.) These vouchers also require a signature and we appreciate your help as promptly as possible.


Payment is delivered via US Mail by check in US dollars to the address provided on your Guest Information form or on tax documents submitted to our office. Foreign guests may request wire transfer payments to personal accounts outside the US. All bank transfer and conversion fees are covered by the recipient.

In some cases, hosts may offer to pay an honorarium to non-UCR faculty lecturers or project participants. If you have been offered an honorarium, additional tax and payment information is needed. See below for details.

NOTE: Honoraria payments are processed and paid separately from travel expenses or other reimbursements.

UC Faculty

Honoraria to UC faculty are processed through campus payroll. Please provide the name and contact information of your departmental payroll analyst.

US Citizens

US Citizens and Permanent Residents (green-card holders) should complete and sign the following forms:

  1. W9 form
  2. EITHER a California state form 590 or 587 (fill out the form that fits your residency situation)

Email completed forms to Jessica DiFilippo. Note that the payment check will be mailed to the address you provide on the forms.

*If you prefer not to submit your social security number via email, you may send the forms without a SS# and call Jessica DiFilippo at (951) 827-1558 to verbally share your number (Voicemail is secure and you may leave your SS# in a message if needed.)

Visiting Scholars on Research or Work Visas

If you are a visiting scholar in the US on a J-1, HB-1, O-1 or other special designation, you may or may not be able to receive honorarium payments depending on your visa restrictions. (Travel payments are not affected by these restrictions.) Notify Jessica right away if you hold a non-travel visa status.

Foreign Citizens on Travel Visas

Non-US citizens on travel visas should complete the following forms: UC W8BENCOAA, and Form 8233. Submit forms via email to Jessica DiFilippoDuring your stay, we must obtain a copy of your passport photo and visa entry stamp.

Payments may be mailed via US Mail in USD or sent by wire transfer to your personal account outside the US. Conversion and banking fees are not covered by the university. To request a wire transfer, please complete the form below and email it to Jessica.

Download wire transfer form

Not finding what you need?

Contact our Travel Coordinator, Jessica DiFilippo, for more information.